Rapid changes in social, economic, security and environmental conditions are occurring at a global level, but leveraging Geospatial Big Data can help us develop more impactful, regionally-specific solutions.
Australia’s scale, geological and geographical diversity, coupled with severe and variable climate, provide a unique set of challenges and risks unlike any other country or continent. This hackathon challenge aims to address Australia’s most conflicting issues surrounding mining, agriculture and environmental sustainability.
We need passionate participants who can leverage our platform and imagery with other information sources for projects that support:
Mining - Applications that support all phases of the Mining Life-Cycle with innovative solutions that can help reduce risk, increase productivity and transform the industry to promote Australia’s role as a Global Leader in the Mining Sector.
Agriculture - Food security, Asset mapping, precision agriculture, weather effects, weed infestations and yield, when modelled will increase Australia’s competitiveness and productivity.
Environmental - Tackling Environmental risk including Climate Change, Industrial Development, Invasive flora and fauna species among other challenges, to ensure we achieve compliance with Governmental Regulations and discover ways to improve upon current Coastal, Land and Water Conservation practices.
Propose your ideas and how you would leverage GBDX and high-resolution satellite imagery to extract critical insights for your solution. All projects are expected to share any outputs from the challenge.
• Fill out the form below to receive challenge details and your submission application.
• Check your email for your submission application - be sure to provide all specified information in order to qualify for participation.
• The deadline for submissions is 5pm EST, May 10th, 2018. On-going GBDX access will be awarded to the top 3 winners.
• Winning teams will be notified no later than June 30th. Individual(s) and/or organisation(s) are eligible to apply. Must be a resident of Australia, New Zealand or Oceania.
• Submit your applications by email to Yvonne Uu - Yvonne.Uu@digitalglobe.com
• Challenge Launch: April 9th
• Application Deadline: 5pm EST, May 10th
• GBDX Project Submission Deadline: 5 pm EST, Jun 10th
• Final Winners Announced: June 30th
Successful submissions will be determined by the following criteria:
• Does this directly support the Australian Mining, Agriculture and Environmental goals?
• Does this contribute to open derivatives and/or open algorithms?
• Is this an innovative use of machine learning and high-resolution imagery?
• Does the team have the necessary skills and expertise to successfully deliver on their idea?
Successful submissions will be granted access to DigitalGlobe’s geospatial big data platform, GBDX, for 4 weeks to test their project concepts. Projects will be judged by the criteria above and winners will be announced on June 30th.
The applicants will receive ongoing access to GBDX to test and scale their projects. Winners will be announced and prizes will include a trophy, a presentation opportunity and a forum to showcase the winning solution to targeted industries. This Hackathon Challenge is only applicable to Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific.
Fill out and submit the contact form below to receive your application.
Stay tuned for occasional informative emails from DigitalGlobe. We work hard to make them relevant and useful to you; however, you can unsubscribe at any time. We respect your privacy.